Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Georgetown’s Industrious Past



Marker ID:  
Location: near the intersection of King St and Front St, Georgetown, SC
County: Georgetown
Coordinates: N 33° 22.047    W 079° 17.19
  33.36745    -79.2865
 



Text:

Georgetown’s Industrious Past
Port of Georgetown



Indigo was first introduced to the area around the 1740's and served as Georgetown's first principal cash crop. Taking advantage of British bounties for indigo, highly prized as a clothing dye in Europe, an elite class of indigo plantation owners and merchants evolved and formed the Winyah Indigo Society, which in 1755 established one of the first free schools in America. The Revolutionary War brought an end to the indigo trade with England and eventually indigo was replaced by rice. The turn of the twentieth century brought much needed prosperity to Georgetown. Lumber became a big industry in Georgetown in the late 1800's. By 1913, the Atlantic Coast Lumber Company, located in the bend of the Sampit River, was the largest lumber mill on the East Coast. In 1936, International Paper built a mill in Georgetown, which grew to be the largest paper mill in the world. In the late 1960's, the steel mill was built on the site of the Atlantic Coast Lumber Company. Both mills are still in operation. Georgetown County also is home to more than 100 other businesses and industries that manufacture everything from additives for the cosmetic industry to polyethylene liners for landfills.

Georgetown Business Association