Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Christ Church (Episcopal)



Marker ID: SCHM 23-10
Location: on Church Street, Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 51.06    W 082° 23.686
  34.851    -82.39476666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Started in 1820 as St. James´ Mission, the first church built here in 1825 on land given by Vardry McBee was consecrated in 1828 by Bishop Nathaniel Bowen as Christ Church. The present church was built 1852-54 with Rev. John D. McCollough as architect, using plans drawn by Joel R. Poinsett; it was consecrated in 1854 by Bishop Thomas Davis.

Erected by Christ Church Guild - I967