Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Greenville Woman's College



Marker ID: SCHM 23-15
Location: Heritage Green, College Street, Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 51.330    W 082° 24.079
  34.8555    -82.401317
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Established in 1854 by the S. C. Baptist Convention, this institution opened as Greenville Baptist Female College in February 1856, on this site originally donated by Vardry McBee to the Greenville Academies. Its name was changed to Greenville Woman´s College in 1914. It was coordinated with Furman University in 1933, merged with Furman in 1938, and moved in 1961 to the consolidated campus six miles north of town.

Erected by Furman University - 1975