Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lebanon Church



Marker ID: SCHM 23-16
Location: At Road 68 and Road 69 in front of church
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 33.724    W 082° 15.913
  34.562067    -82.265217
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This United Methodist church was originally located about 1-1/4 miles east and named the Grove. It was visited by Bishop Francis Asbury in 1790 and 1800 and relocated about 1/4 mile SW of here after the land was obtained in 1832. Present house of worship was erected in the 1850s and name changed to Lebanon. Sunday School annex completed in 1951 and steeple and portico in 1955.

Erected by the congregation - 1975