Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Site of First Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 23-20
Location: NE corner of Irvine Street and McBee Avenue, Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 50.930    W 082° 23.818
  34.848833    -82.396967
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1825, Wm. Bullein Johnson opened a subscription for a Baptist meetinghouse, which was soon built here. The 120-foot square lot, which extended well into present McBee Ave., was given by Vardry McBee. After its organization in 1831, First Baptist Church occupied the building here until it moved to West McBee Ave. in 1857. The church moved to its present location on Cleveland Street in 1974.

Erected by First Baptist Church, Greenville - 1987


Notes:

Two sided - Baptist Seminary