Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Baptist Seminary



Marker ID: SCHM 23-20
Location: NE corner of Irvine Street and McBee Avenue, Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 50.930    W 082° 23.818
  34.848833    -82.396967
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

When Southern Baptist Theological Seminary was organized in 1859, the old Baptist church building once located here was divided into two classrooms and library for the school´s use. First faculty was James Petigru Boyce, John A. Broadus, Basil Manly, Jr., and William Williams. Crawford H. Toy and William H. Whitsitt joined before the seminary moved to Louisville, KY. in 1877.

Erected by First Baptist Church, Greenville - 1987


Notes:

Two sided - Site of First Baptist Church