Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Fountain Fox Beattie House / Greenville Woman's Club



Marker ID: SCHM 23-24
Location: 8 Bennett St., corner of Bennett and N. Church Sts., Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 51.427    W 082° 23.38
  34.85711666    -82.38966666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This house, built in 1834, first stood a few blocks south on East North St. It was built by Fountain Fox Beattie (1807 1863), a textile merchant, for his new bride Emily Edgeworth Hamlin. Their son Hamlin Beattie (1835 1914), who founded the National Bank of Greenville in 1872, added wings and elaborate Italianate ornamentation. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

(Reverse)
The house remained in the Beattie family until 1946, when the city bought the property to widen Church St. When the house was moved to Beattie Place in 1948 it was leased to the women´s organizations of Greenville. The Greenville Woman´s Club officially opened in 1949. The house was moved a second time in 1983 to make room for downtown expansion. Member clubs maintain the house and gardens.

Erected by the Greenville Woman´s Club, 1998