Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Working Benevolent Society Hospital



Marker ID: SCHM 23-27
Location: corner of Green Ave. and Jenkins St., Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 50.233    W 082° 24.739
  34.83721666    -82.41231666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Working Benevolent Society Hospital, first known as St. Luke Colored Hospital, was a two-story frame building standing here at the corner of Green Avenue and Jenkins Street. Founded in 1920, it served blacks in Greenville for twenty-eight years. The Working Benevolent Grand Lodge of S.C., at Broad and Fall Streets in Greenville, operated the hospital from 1928 until it closed in 1948.

(Reverse)
The hospital, described at its opening as “one of the most modern institutions in the South for colored people,” had three wards and twenty-two beds in semi-private and private rooms. Mrs. M.H. Bright was the first superintendent. A registered nurse and a graduate of the Tuskegee Institute, she had been superintendent of the Institute hospital. Most of the superintendents after her were nurses as well.

Erected by the Green Avenue Area Civic Association, 2003