Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Cooley's Bridge



Marker ID: SCHM 23-28
Location: on hwy.247 in Greenville County.
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 33.405    W 082° 25.009
  34.55675    -82.416817
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
The original Cooley´s Bridge, built across the Saluda River in 1835-36 to replacing a ferry, stood about 150 yds. above the present bridge over S.C. Hwy.247.It was built for Hiram Cooley (ca.1796-1864).A cotton planter that owned more than 1600 acres and operated a cotton gin and grist mill nearby. His house, built about 1830,was just NE of the present bridge; It burned in 1983.

(reverse)
This part of Southwestern Greenville County Was officially Dunklin Township in the late 19th century but has long been called "Possum Kingdom". Several bridges over the river here have been washed away by floods and replaced. steel through truss bridge was built on the site of the original Cooley´s Bridge in 1896-97.The present concrete highway bridge was built here in 2000.

Erected by the Belton chapter No.1843-United Daughters of the confederacy - 2005.