Historic Markers Across South Carolina

Stone's Mill / Jones Mill

Marker ID: SCHM 23-29
Location: Jones Mill Rd. (S.C. Sec. Rd. 23-191) at Durbin Creek, N of Fountain Inn
County: Greenville
Style: Free Standing **


The first grist mill on Big Durbin Creek was built about 1813 for John Bruce (d. 1818), a veteran of the American Revolution, who also ran a sawmill and woolen mill here. The present mill, built by slave labor before 1860, is made of heart pine, with a granite foundation. It was built for Jesse K. Stone (1825-1899), and the mill was known as Stone´s Mill until his death.

The mill complex was sold to R.B. Holland in 1899, then to the Jones family soon afterward. Walter T. Jones ground corn and wheat, ran a cotton gin, and operated a small grocery store here for many years. The grist mill, along with the shoals, rocks, and a nearby covered bridge, was a "favorite gathering place" in the vicinity until the mill shut down in the 1950s.

Erected by the Oliver Thompson Chapter # 1850, United Daughters of the Confederacy, 2005