Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Cherokee Boundary (1767)



Marker ID: SCHM 23-30
Location: on Hwy. 418 (Milacron Dr.) in Fountain Inn, SC.
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 40.737    W 082° 12.321
  34.67895    -82.20535
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
In 1766-67 S.C. & N.C. negotiated with the Cherokee to establish a boundary between Indian land to the West and new settlement to the East. This North-South line ran past this point to N.C. and on to VA. In S.C. it ran North from near present-day Honea Path, crossed the Reedy River near present-day Princeton, and ended at the S.C.-N.C. line.
(reverse)

The Cherokee ceded all land East of the 1767 line to the colonies of S.C. and N.C. in 1768, when S.C. created its first counties. The line from the Reedy River to the S.C.-N.C. line South of Tryon, N.C. was the boundary for Greenville County between both Spartanburg and Laurens counties. In 1793 the Greenville boundary shifted East to accommodate new settlers south of the Enoree River.