Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Textile Hall



Marker ID: SCHM 23-31
Location: W. Washington St. near its intersection with N. Academy St., Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 51.132    W 082° 24.181
  34.8522    -82.40301666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Textile Hall, built in 1917 to host the annual Southern Textile Exposition, stood on this side until 1992. The first exposition of the Southern Textile Association had been held in Greenville in 1915. Textile Hall, designed by J.E. Sirrine & Co. at a cost of $130,000, was a five-story Renaissance Revival building; its facade featured a limestone tablet bearing the initials “STE” for “Southern Textile Exposition” and the words “Textile Hall.”

(Reverse)
When built, Textile Hall was described as “a fitting monument to . . . the proper cooperative spirit.” It hosted the Southern Textile Exposition from 1917 to 1962 and gave Greenville the title “Textile Center of the South.” It also hosted many other meetings and special events, such as the annual Southern Textile Basketball Tournament, with teams representing mills across the South. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, it was demolished in 1992.

Erected by the City of Greenville and the Hampton-Pinckney Neighborhood Association, 2006