Historic Markers Across South Carolina

Sterling High School

Marker ID: SCHM 23-33
Location: corner of Calhoun & Pendleton Sts., Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 50.589    W 082° 24.956
  34.84315    -82.41593333
Style: Free Standing **


Sterling High School stood 3/4 mi. southeast of here and served generations of African Americans in Greenville. Founded in 1896 by Rev. D.M. Minus and called Greenville Academy, it was first located in West Greenville. It moved into a new two-story brick school nearby in 1902 and was then renamed Sterling Industrial College after Mrs. E.R. Sterling, who had financed Rev. Minus´s education at Claflin University.

The school closed briefly but reopened in 1915 as Enoree High School, owned by the Enoree Baptist Assn. The Greenville Co. School District bought the school in 1929, made it the first black public high school in the county, and restored the name Sterling. After it burned in Sept. 1967, classes moved to Greenville Jr. High, renamed Sterling Jr.-Sr. High. It closed after the 1969-70 school year.

Erected by the Greenville County Historical Commission and the Sterling High School Association, 2007