Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hopkins Farm



Marker ID: SCHM 23-34
Location: on Fork Shoals Road (State Highway 23-146) south of Old Hundred Road (State Highway 23-459).
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 39.355    W 082° 18.995
  34.655917    -82.316583
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This farm has been owned by the Hopkins family since 1834, when John Hopkins (1793-1837) purchased it from William Toney. The Greek Revival main house was built ca. 1840, with later additions ca. 1890 and ca. 1925. Hopkins´ widow, Lucinda (1800-1876) managed the farm after his death, growing cotton and corn as cash crops, supplemented by subsistence crops and livestock.

(Reverse)
John and Lucinda Hopkins are buried in the family cemetery nearby. This farm complex includes a cook´s house, smoke house, and corn crib built ca. 1850 as well as other outbuildings from the 1870s to the present. John Drayton Hopkins (b. 1913) took over the farm in 1938, making it a model of modern soil conservation techniques such as terracing and crop rotation.

Erected by Greenville County Historical Commission - 2007