Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lickville Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 23-36
Location: 10020 Augusta Rd., Pelzer, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 36.25    W 082° 21.8
  34.60416666    -82.36333333
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, which takes its name from a nearby salt lick, was founded in 1882. Mrs. Ellen C. Woodside (1838-1906) worked with Rev. C.L. Stewart to organize services on her farm in 1880-81. A commission from the Enoree Presbytery, including Rev. Stewart, formally established the church with 20 charter members.

(Reverse)
Rev. C.L. Stewart, the first and longest-serving minister here, served this congregation 1882-1895 and 1905-1921. This church, a frame building, was constructed in 1882 and remodeled in 1943-44 and 1968. The church cemetery includes the plots of many prominent families of Lickville and Possum Kingdom.

Erected by the Greenville County Historical Commission, 2008 [Missing as of March 2010]