Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Sans Souci



Marker ID: SCHM 23-37
Location: W. Blue Ridge Dr. (S.C. Hwy. 253), Sans Souci community, Greenville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 53.376    W 082° 24.973
  34.8896    -82.41621666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This early twentieth century suburb takes its name from Sans Souci, the nearby house and estate of Gov. Benjamin F. Perry (1805-1886). Perry, a prominent Unionist before the Civil War, was appointed provisional governor of S.C. by President Andrew Johnson in June 1865 and served until December 1865. In 1876-77 he built an ornate Second Empire house N of this location.

(Reverse)
After B.F. Perry´s death in 1886, the house was briefly a girls´ school. His heirs sold the property in 1902 and it became the Sans Souci Country Club in 1905. The club moved to Byrd Blvd. and became the Greenville Country Club in 1924. The house burned in 1927. Residential and commercial development in this area from 1911 through World War II featured the name Sans Souci.

Erected by the Greenville County Historical Commission, 2008