Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mauldin



Marker ID: SCHM 23-46
Location: City Center Dr., Mauldin, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 46.8    W 082° 18.317
  34.78    -82.30528333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This area was settled soon after the Revolution, and a community grew up here on the road from Greenville to Laurens. It was later known as Butler´s Crossroads for Willis W. Butler, who acquired a tract including the intersection of the Laurens and Reedy River roads in 1853. This community became a town after the Greenville & Laurens Railroad completed its line here in 1885 and built a frame passenger and freight depot 1/4 mi. N on Jenkins Street in 1886.

(Reverse)
The new town was named for Lt. Gov. William L. Mauldin (1845-1912), president of the Greenville & Laurens Railroad 1881-85, state representative and senator, and lt. governor 1886-1890. Mauldin was first chartered in 1890, with its limits a half-mile radius from the depot. The depot was torn down in 1953. Two historic stores of note are the John S. Hill Store (ca. 1906), 1/4 mi. E on Main Street, and Massey´s General Store (1931), at Main Street and White Drive.

Erected by the City of Mauldin and the Greenville County Historical Commission, 2011