Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mush Creek Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 23-47
Location: 940 Mush Creek Rd., Travelers Rest, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 35° 2.815    W 082° 22.975
  35.04691666    -82.38291666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, established in 1882, grew out of services held by itinerant Baptist ministers in a nearby log school, encouraged by Ann Pool Neves (1809-1898) and her husband Alsey A. Neves (1814-1888). In 1884 Mrs. Neves and her son W.P.Z.F. Neves (1835-1917) deeded three acres for a church. A frame sanctuary was dedicated in 1886, with Rev. J.G. Fowler as pastor.

(Reverse)
This church was covered in brick veneer in 1967. The cemetery, with early burials dating to the 1820s, includes several generations of the Neves family, beginning with William Neves (1789-1844) and his wife, Anah Mitchell Neves (1787-1877), the first members of the family to settle in this area. Mush Creek Baptist Church was renamed Living Grace Baptist Church in 2010.

Erected by the Travelers Rest Historical Society, 2011