Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Simpsonville



Marker ID: SCHM 23-48
Location: 118 Northeast Main Street, Simpsonville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 44.3    W 082° 15.333
  34.73833333    -82.25555
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

[Front]:
This town grew up around a stagecoach stop from Laurens to Greenville. For many years the community was known as "Plain," the name given to its first post office, opened in 1838 with Jesse T. Cook as postmaster. It was later named for Peter Simpson (d. 1847), who had come here from Laurens District in 1836. Silas Gilbert opened a general store here about the sale time. Gilbert was postmaster in 1839-44, followed by Simpson in 1844-47.

[Reverse]:
Sidney J. Wilson (1854-1919) came here from N.C. about 1875 and opened a general store. In 1885-86 the Greenville & Laurens Railroad completed its line from Laurens to Greenville. Wilson had the town surveyed and city lots laid out on Main St., and soon built the first brick store here. The post office was renamed Simpsonville in 1885, and the city incorporated in 1901. Simpsonville Cotton Mill, later a branch of Woodside Mills, operated here from 1908 to 1989.

2011 by City of Simpsonville and the Rotary Club of Simpsonville.