Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Simpsonville Municipal Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 23-70
Location: on Academy St at College St, Simpsonville, SC
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 44.441    W 082° 15.138
  34.74068333    -82.2523
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Simpsonville Municipal Cemetery


(Side 1:)
Established in the 1840s as a family cemetery, the two and one-half acre parcel was donated to Simpsonville First Baptist Church by J.H. Todd in 1890. The church deeded the property to the Town of Simpsonville in 1929. The stone wall that surrounds the cemetery was constructed from native field stone collected from the surrounding countryside. the distinctive arches that mark the entry gates were added in the early 2000s.


(Side 2:)
The cemetery serves as the final resting place of many of the founding families of Simpsonville, as well as veterans from many of the nation's wars. The earliest grave sites are located at the center of the cemetery and include Banister Stone (1777--1844), his wife Elizabeth Kilgore Stone (1788-1855), and his mother Anne Moon Stone Lynch (1754 - 1842). Stone was a member of the S.C. Assembly for 16 years.


Sponsored by the Simpsonville Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation and Education Committee, and Richard C. Moore Attorney at Law, P.C., 2015