Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Camperdown Mill



Marker ID: SCHM 
Location: can be reached from Falls Street near Camperdown Way (South Carolina Route 124), Greenville, SC.
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 50.691    W 082° 24.031
  34.84485    -82.400517
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Greenville´s first post-bellum textile mill was founded by Massachusetts mill owners George Hall, George Putnam, and O.H. Sampson, who came south to start a textile business after a disasterous fire in Boston. In cooperation with Vardry McBee´s heirs, Alexander and Vardry A. McBee, Hall and Sampson opened the water-powered Camperdown Mill (named for the Camperdown elms on the property) in 1876. The mill produced yarn and gingham fabric until 1956, when the Citizens and Southern National Bank built a regional headquarters on the site. It is now the site of Bowater, Inc´s American headquarters. Stone retaining walls of the old mill and the anchor points of its dam are still visible above the falls.