Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Confederate Armory (1861-1864)



Marker ID: UDC 
Location: at the intersection of North Main Street and East Elford Street, Greenville, SC.
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 51.320    W 082° 23.816
  34.855333    -82.396933
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Erected on land donated to the state by Vardry McBee for the manufacture of arms for the South Carolina troops in the Confederate service. George W. Morse, superintendent of the works, invented and manufactured a breech-loading carbine pronounced by General Wade Hampton the best that he had seen.

Erected 1937 by Greenville Chapter, United Daughters of the Donfederacy.