Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Falls Place



Marker ID: SCHM 
Location: in Historic Falls Park.
County: Greenville
Coordinates: N 34° 50.713    W 082° 24.080
  34.845217    -82.401333
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Greenville was a major textile center by the beginning of the twentieth century, and local cotton growers and brokers needed storage places for the harvested cotton. West End banker H.L. Gassaway and Dr. Davis Furman purchased land immediately south of the bridge at Main Street in 1910. In 1913 they erected a fireproof cotton warehouse that was attached to a new heavily-reinforced concrete bridge at the same time. The building housed a soft drink company for many years, and was used as a U.S.O. headquarters, particularly by airmen at Donaldson Air Force Base, during and after World War II. Long referred to as the "Traxler Building," because it was owned by David Traxler, it was renovated in 1985 and is now known as Falls Place.


Notes:

Upon entering the park, take the stairs down to the bridge level. Take the elevator down one floor and follow the path back toward Camperdown Bridge.