Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Rock Presbyterian Church



Marker ID:  24-16
Location: on US 221 at Rock Church Rd., Raintree, SC
County: Greenwood
Coordinates: N 34° 13.677    W 082° 06.672
  34.22795    -82.1112
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Side one
This church, originally known as Rocky Creek Presbyterian Church, was founded in 1770 by ministers sent to upper S.C. from the Synods of New York and Philadelphia. The first church here, a frame sanctuary, was replaced in 1815 by a larger frame church built by John and Adam Blake. The church, incorporated in 1844, was renamed Rock Presbyterian Church by the S.C. Presbytery in 1845.

Side two
Rev. John McLees (d. 1882) was minister here 1847-1882 and father of Greenwood First Presbyterian Church, which had its origins as a chapel in the 1850s and was formally organized from this congregation in 1883. Rock Presbyterian Church, inactive in 1892, reorganized in 1956. This stone sanctuary, built in 1959-60, replaced the 1815 church, which had burned in 1959.