Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Good Hope Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 24-17
Location: 6516 Highway 25N, Hodges SC
County: Greenwood
Coordinates: N 34° 20.717    W 082° 13.232
  34.345283    -82.220533
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

[Front]
This church, founded about 1870, has its origins in Walnut Grove Baptist Church, founded in 1820. Walnut Grove included both white and black members before the Civil War, but after the war black members asked for letters of dismissal to organize a new church. Good Hope was founded by David Agnew, Doc McIntosh, Henry Moon, Wesley Posey, and others, with Rev. W.L. Evans as its first pastor.

[Reverse]
Good Hope Baptist Church grew to more than 250 members by 1900 under its first two ministers, Rev. W.L. Evans and H. Donaldson. The first church here was a frame building constructed soon after 1870; it was destroyed by arson in 1966. The present church, a brick building was constructed in 1967-68 during the pastorate of Rev. M.B. Norman.

Erected by Good Hope Baptist Church Congregation - 2006