Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church



Marker ID: SCHM 24-18
Location: on Cedar Springs Road, Bradley, SC
County: Greenwood
Coordinates: N 34° 04.807    W 082° 18.119
  34.080117    -82.301983
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

[front]
This church was organized 1779-1780 by Dr. Thomas Clark (d. 1791), who had emigrated from Ireland to N.Y. in 1764. Clark moved to this area permanently about 1786, preaching here, at Long Cane (now Lower Long Cane), and at Little Run. He is the father of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian church in the South.

[reverse]
The first church, then called Cedar Creek, was a log building 2 mi. SE. The congregation was renamed Cedar Springs in 1790. It moved here and built a frame church in 1791. The cemetery includes graves of several ministers, including Thomas Clark, and many early members. The present brick church was built in 1853.

Erected by Members and Friends of the Church - 2006