Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Southern Railway Depot



Marker ID: SCHM 24-18
Location: on Main St near Cambridge St, Ninety Six, SC
County: Greenwood
Coordinates: N 34° 10.497    W 082° 01.451
  34.17495    -82.02418333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Side One:

This depot, built for the Southern Railway in 1915 is an outstanding example of an early-20th century combination passenger and freight depot. A settlement called Ninety Six predates the Revolution, but the modern town grew up around a stop on the Greenwood & Columbia RR, completed in 1853. Its population grew even more dramatically after 1890 with a boom in the textile industry in Greenwood County.


Side Two:

The Ninety Six Cotton Mill opened in 1902. By 1906, 400 of the towns 600 residents worked there. That year the Southern Railway, led by the town’s rapid growth and the need to carry people and ship goods to and from Greenwood County, promised Ninety Six a new depot. Built in 1915, it closed in 1978 and has been a community center since 1982. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.

Sponsored by the Historic 96 Development Association, 2014.