Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hampton County



Marker ID: UDC 25-1
Location: SC 68, Hampton County Courthouse, Hampton
County: Hampton
Coordinates: N 32° 51.981    W 081° 06.519
  32.86635    -81.10865
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Established February 18, 1878, once a part of Beaufort District. Named in honor of Wade Hampton, Lieutenant General, C.S.A., Governor of South Carolina, 1876-79, United States Senator, 1879-91. Corner stone of courthouse laid by Gen. Hampton, Oct. 12, 1878.

Erected by Hampton County and James Moore Chapter, U.D.C. - 1957