Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lawtonville Church



Marker ID: SCHM 25-4
Location: Corner of Lawton Avenue and Fourth Street, Estill
County: Hampton
Coordinates: N 32° 45.302    W 081° 14.298
  32.75503333    -81.2383
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This Baptist Church, constituted in March 1775, was first situated on Pipe Creek in upper St. Peter´s Parish near the Savannah River. Prior to 1836 it was moved to Lawtonville, where its building was used as a hospital by Union Forces in 1865. Pipe Creek Church became Lawtonville Church in 1884. The Church moved here in 1911 when the present building was erected.

Erected by The Board of Deacons of Lawtonville Baptist Church - 1975