Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Morrison Academy



Marker ID: SCHM 25-7
Location: Road 19 at Lawtonville Cemetery
County: Hampton
Coordinates: N 32° 45.092    W 081° 16.297
  32.75153333    -81.27161666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In old Lawtonville Community, across from this site, was the first Morrison Academy, a one-room elementary and college preparatory school. It was later moved 3.4 miles north of here on Orangeburg Road to be near the home of Rev. John Timothy Morrison, headmaster from 1865 to 1905, minister, legislator, Lt. C.S.A.

Erected by Hampton County Tricentennial Commission - 1969