Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 25-11
Location: 125 Hickory Grove Rd., Brunson, SC
County: Hampton
Coordinates: N 32° 58.737    W 081° 6.646
  32.97895    -81.11076666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, founded by 1869 with Rev. G.D. Kinard as its first pastor and 22 charter members, was admitted to the Barnwell Association that year. The congregation first met in a brush arbor, then built a log church near this site. That building also housed the Hickory Grove School for many years.

(Reverse)
Hickory Grove became a member of the Savannah River Association in 1904 and helped form the Allendale-Hampton Association in 1958. The present frame church, built in 1885, was moved across the road in 1953, with renovations completed in 1954. The cemetery nearby includes the plots of many early church families.

Erected by the Congregation, 2005