Historic Markers Across South Carolina



James Washington Moore House



Marker ID: SCHM 25-12
Location: 503 Oak St., W, Hampton, SC
County: Hampton
Coordinates: N 32° 52.111    W 081° 6.832
  32.86851666    -81.11386666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This house, built between 1878 and 1885, was the home of James Washington Moore (1837-1912), lawyer, Confederate officer, state legislator, and militia officer. Moore, a native of Gillisonville, was educated at the University of Ga. and returned to S.C. in 1859 to practice law. He was a sergeant in the Hampton Legion Cavalry, then 1st lt. and adjutant of the 2nd S.C. Cavalry, and was wounded in 1863.

(Reverse)
Moore represented Beaufort District in the S.C. House 1866-67, and moved to Hampton when Hampton County was created in 1878. He was Hampton County´s first state senator, serving 1878-1894 and 1901-02. Moore was also chairman of the senate military committee and an officer in the militia, retiring as a major general in 1891. He is buried at Gillisonville Baptist Church, in what is now Jasper County.

Erected by the Rivers Bridge Camp #842, Sons of Confederate Veterans, 2008