Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Whippy Swamp Muster Ground



Marker ID: SCHM 25-17
Location: Harmony Presbyterian Church, Bamberg Rd. (U.S. Hwy. 601), Crocketville, SC
County: Hampton
Coordinates: N 32° 55.023    W 081° 4.695
  32.91705    -81.07825
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This area, called Whippy Swamp Cross Roads, was in Beaufort District before Hampton County was created in 1878. In 1840 the Whippy Swamp Guards of the 12th S.C. Militia built their “militia house” nearby. It hosted inspections, drills, picnics, and political speeches. Two Confederate companies formed in 1861-62 were made up of men of the antebellum Guards: Co. D, 11th S.C. Infantry, and Co. D, 24th S.C. Infantry.

(Reverse
Other members of the antebellum Whippy Swamp Guards served in several Confederate units from this area. On October 22, 1862, at the Battle of Pocotaligo, the silk flag of the Whippy Swamp Guards was captured by the 48th N.Y. Infantry. Maj. John J. Harrison of the 11th S.C., former captain of the Guards, was killed. The militia house was torn down shortly after the Civil War.

Erected by the Hampton Museum and Visitors´ Center, 2011


Notes:

More information:
sciway - The Whippy Swamp Guards
47th Pennsylvania - Pocotaligo
Eleventh South Carolina Infantry Regiment
HMDB - Whippy Swamp Muster Ground

Wikipedia - South Carolina in the American Civil War
Wikipedia - Charleston, South Carolina in the American Civil War