Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Fort Randall



Marker ID: SCHM 26-4
Location: US 17, W of Cherry Grove exit
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 50.704    W 078° 39.292
  33.845067    -78.654867
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Located about 5 miles E. of here, this Confederate fort included a blockhouse pierced for musketry and earthworks surrounded by a ditch about 10ft. broad and 5 ft. deep. The fort was captured Jan. 1863 by U.S. Navy Lt. Wm. B. Cushing and twenty-five men while looking for blockaderunner pilots. Cushing held the fort briefly until his supply of ammunition was exhausted.

Erected by The Horry County Historic Preservation Commission - 1976