Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Kingston-Conway



Marker ID: SCHM 26-5
Location: Conway City Hall, 1001 Third Ave., Conway, SC
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 50.100    W 079° 02.758
  33.835    -79.045967
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

By 1733, Kingston Township had been "marked out" in this area, and by 1737 the town of Kingston was in existence. Since many landowners were nonresidents, the township did not flourish. In 1801, the town was renamed Conwayborough. Robert Conway had acquired large landholdings in the area, and in 1805 he conveyed some 223 acres to the town. In 1883, the town name changed to Conway.

Erected by City of Conway and Horry County Historic Preservation Commission - 1976


Notes:

Two sided - Two sided - Robert Conway
South Carolina Historic Markers - ROBERT CONWAY / KINGSTON-CONWAY