Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 26-6
Location: Corner of Main Street & Fifth Avenue, Conway, SC
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 50.247    W 079° 02.857
  33.83745    -79.047617
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury´s many visits to Kingston (Conway) between 1785 and 1815 preceded the organization of a Methodist congregation here. Land was obtained in 1842 and the first church building was constructed here in 1844. Still standing are the 1898 gothic-style and the 1910 mission-style buildings. The church was renamed First Methodist in 1958 and the current Georgian sanctuary was completed in 1961

Erected by The Congregation - 1985


Notes:

South Carolina Historic Markers - First Methodist Church