Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Galivants Ferry



Marker ID: SCHM 26-11
Location: ntersection of Highway 501 (U.S. 501) and South Carolina Route 21, Galivants Ferry, SC
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 34° 03.309    W 079° 14.694
  34.05515    -79.2449
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
In 1792 Galivants Ferry was named for Richard Gallevan, owner of ferry rights for Elirsee´s Landing on the Little Pee Dee River. The ferry was an important crossing on the road to Conwayborough, the county seat, later renamed Conway. "Evans Store" appears here in Robert Mills´s Atlas of S.C. (1825). In 1869 Joseph William Holliday (1827-1904) opened a general store here.

(reverse)
By 1900 J.W. Holliday was one of the leading tobacco farmers in the region and Galivants Ferry was the center of a large community of tenant farmers who grew tobacco on Holliday´s land. The Galivants Ferry Historic District, including houses, barns, and other agricultural buildings, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

Erected by Horry County - 2004