Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Socastee Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 26-14
Location: on Dicks Pond Rd at Baggott Ln, Socastee, South Carolina
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 40.999    W 079° 00.102
  33.683317    -79.0017
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church, originating with services held in a brush arbor, was formally organized by 1818. Its first sanctuary, a log building, was built here soon afterwards on land donated by Philip Elkes. The cemetery, dating from the 19th century, includes the plots of the Clardy, Cooper, Elkes, Hucks, Macklen, Outlaw, Sarvis, Stalvey, and other early church families.

The second sanctuary, a frame building featuring a large portico and square columns, was built in 1875 by W.T. Goldfinch of Conway. Sunday school rooms were added in 1833 and the church was extensively remodeled and enlarged in the 1850s, with work completed in 1957. The present sanctuary was built in 1987.