Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Myrtle Beach Colored School



Marker ID: SCHM 26-17
Location: on Mr. Joe White Ave at Carver St, Myrtle Beach, SC
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 41.864    W 078° 53.000
  33.69773333    -78.88333333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Myrtle Beach Colored School stood here from the early 1930s to 2001. The first public school for African-American students in Myrtle Beach, it was a six-room frame building similar to the schools funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932. The school opened as early as 1932, with three teachers and 113 students in grades 1-7 for a four-month academic year from October to February.

(Reverse)
During the 1930s and 1940s the school´s academic year expanded to eight months, with as many as six teachers and 186 students in grades 1-7 before World War II. It added grades 8-12 after 1945 and reached a peak of eight teachers and 241 students in its last year. The school, replaced by Carver Training School in 1953, was torn down in 2001 but was reconstructed nearby at Dunbar St. and Mr. Joe White Ave. in 2006.

Erected by the City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Colored School Committee, 2006


Notes:

Two sided