Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Roberts Pavilion



Marker ID: SCHM 26-18
Location: at the intersection of Ocean Boulevard and Main Street, North Myrtle Beach SC
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 49.122    W 078° 40.350
  33.818700    -78.672500
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The Roberts Pavilion, built in 1936 by William Roberts, was an early open-air oceanfront pavilion on the Grand Strand. The rhythm & blues of the post-World War II ear—later called beach music—was played on jukeboxes here and at other popular pavilions on the beach. At these pavilions dancers perfected the Shag, named the state dance in 1984. Beach music was named the state popular music in 2001.

Erected by The O.D. Pavilion Social Shag Club - 2007