Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Coastal Carolina University



Marker ID:  26-23
Location: At Coastal Carolina University on Collage Blvd at University Dr, Conway, SC.
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 47.600    W 079° 00.659
  33.79333333    -79.01098333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Coastal Carolina University was founded in 1954 as Coastal Carolina Junior College, holding evening classes in Conway High School 1954-1963. Its first enrollment numbered 53 students. Originally sponsored by the College of Charleston 1954-1958, the junior college became a branch of the University of S.C. in 1960.

(Reverse)
Coastal Carolina Junior College moved here in 1963 on the completion of its first building, later named for Edward M. Singleton, chancellor 1963-1983. As Coastal Carolina College, it began offering four-year degrees in 1974. In 1993 Coastal Carolina University became an independent state university.

Erected by Coastal Carolina University, 2009


Notes:

Two sided