Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Whittemore School / Whittemore High School



Marker ID: SCHM 26-26
Location: Brown St, Conway, SC
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 50.133    W 079° 04.086
  33.83555    -79.0681
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

WHITTEMORE SCHOOL


Whittemore School, one of the first African-American schools in Horry County, educated elementary and high school students on this site from 1936 to 1970. Founded in 1870, it was named for Benjamin F. Whittemore (1824-1894), former Union Army chaplain, Freedmen´s Bureau educator 1865-67, and later a state senator and U.S. Congressman. The first school was just E on Race Path Ave. After it burned, classes moved to the Conwayborough Academy on 5th Ave.

WHITTEMORE HIGH SCHOOL


A new Whittemore Training School was built at Race Path Ave. and Thompson St. in 1911, with students in grades 1-9 until 1929, 1-10 until 1933, and 1-11 afterwards. A new school built here in 1936 burned in 1944 and occupied temporary buildings until separate new elementary and high schools were completed in 1954. Grade 12 was added in 1949. The schools closed when Horry County schools desegregated in 1970.

Erected by the Whittemore High School Historical Marker Commission, 2011