Historic Markers Across South Carolina



354th Fighter Group History (1956)



Marker ID:  
Location: Farrow Parkway and South Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 39.63    W 078° 55.691
  33.6605    -78.92818333
 



Text:

354th Fighter Group History



On November 19, 1956, the Air Force resurrected the unit as the 354th Fighter-Day Group and stationed it at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. It was then re-designated the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing in July 1958, flying the RF-80, and during 1959 began flying the F 100 Super Sabres.

In 1966, the Wing began deploying its fighter squadrons to Vietnam, and in April 1968 the last squadron deployed. From mid 1968 until June 1970, the 354th served at Kunsan Air Base, South Korea. It then returned to Myrtle Beach, charged with combat crew training in the AT-33s, and also began flying the A-7.

In 1972, the wing squadrons were once again deployed to Vietnam. The wing was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for its service from October 1972 through April 1973. It was also credited for dropping the last bomb at the end of the Vietnam War. The 354th then returned to Myrtle Beach and converted to the A-10 Warthog in 1977.


( top photo caption )
1956 Aerial view of Myrtle Beach Air Force Base


( bottom photo caption )
The first A-10 delivered to Myrtle Beach Air Force Base on March 9, 1977, marking a new era for the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing. The 354th was the first operational A-10 wing in the Air Force. Wing Commander Colonel Robert Reed chats with Captain Don Sorenson, who ferried the airplane from the Fairchild Republic Plant.