Historic Markers Across South Carolina



356th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Mustang Street and Shine Ave, Myrtle Beach, SC
County: Horry
Coordinates: N 33° 40.15    W 078° 56.113
  33.66916666    -78.93521666
 



Text:

356th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations


The 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations (Green Demons), building 347, was located in the area now occupied by the Myrtle Beach Police Department office and Training Facility. The 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron was activated in November 1942 at Hamilton Field, California, where pilots flew the P-39 Air Cobra.
The next year, the 356th was deployed to England and rans into the P-51 Mustang. The unit achieved an impressive record in aerial combat in Europe flying both the P-51 and the P-47 aircraft. The 356th shot down 298 enemy aircraft.

The 356th returned to the United States in 1946 and was inactivated. As part of the nation's build-up in response to the communist threat, the squadron was reactivated at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in 1956 and assigned to fly the F-100 Super Sabre.

The 356th Tactical Fighter squadron transitioned into the A-7D following a period of operations in Japan. The 356th deployed to Southeast Asia in the A-7D in support of the Vietnam War.

After returning from Southeast Asia and upon transfer of the A-7D aircraft to the Air National Guard, the squadron converted to the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

Upon closure of the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, the squadron was transferred to Eielsen Air Force Base Alaska, where it remains today.

( adjacent marker )
Wing Deputy Commander for Operations

The Wing Deputy Commander for operations (DCO) office and staff were housed in building 332.

The building also contained the Wing Command Post, which was the hub of flight operations conducted by the tactical fighter squadrons and provided constant monitoring of all flight activities.

The Deputy Commander for Operations was responsible for overall supervision of the flying training program for the fighter squadrons and for ensuring that pilots were trained to the required level of combat readiness.

This office also was responsible for insuring that the tactical fighter squadrons maintained the requisite deployment status and were trained to carry out combat operations at their assigned wartime base.

( adjacent marker )
Deputy Commander for Maintenance

The Administrative Office of the Deputy Commander for Maintenance, building 330, was located on this spot.

The Deputy Commander was responsible for all aircraft maintenance, including repair and overhaul of most aircraft systems and engines.

This building contained the maintenance control center which operated 24 hours per day and was the hub from which flight line maintenance received overall direction, including the necessary coordination with all supporting specialists and servicing units.