Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Robertville



Marker ID: SCHM 27-1
Location: Robertville Baptist Church, Robertville
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 35.199    W 081° 11.955
  32.58665    -81.19925
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Named for descendents of Huguenot minister Pierre Robert, it was the birthplace of Henry Martyn Robert, author of Robert´s Rules of Order, and of Alexander Robert Lawton, Confederate quartermaster general. The town was burned by Sherman´s army in 1865. The present church was built in Gillisonville in 1848 as an Episcopal church, moved here by Black Swamp Baptists in 1871.

Erected by The Board of Deacons of Robertville Baptist Church - 1971