Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Gillisonville Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 27-23
Location: Grays Hwy. (S.C. Hwy. 462), Gillisonville, SC
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 36.448    W 080° 59.92
  32.60746666    -80.99866666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Euhaw congregation constituted this ecclesiastical group 24 March 1832, naming it Coosawhatchie Baptist Church. The South Carolina Baptist Convention met at the church in December 1845 and unanimously voted to join the recently formed Southern Baptist Convention. In February 1865, General William Tecumseh Sherman´s troops visited the church and etched "War of 1861 & 62 & 63 & 64 Feb.

(Reverse)
7th 1865 this is done by a Yankee Soldier," on the communion silver. The congregation became Gillisonville Baptist Church 19 November 1885. The 1845 church building, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, is a local interpretation of Greek Revival style of architecture; notable features include the slave gallery and box pews.

Erected by the Congregation, 1994


Notes:

Shows 27-23 on Marker but should be 27-11