Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Euhaw Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 27-12
Location: 3676 Bees Creek Rd, Ridgeland SC
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 28.105    W 080° 57.991
  32.468417    -80.966517
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

( Front)
Established on Edisto Island about 1686 by Scotch dissenters, this is the second oldest Baptist organization in the South. For many years a branch of First Baptist Church in Charleston, Euhaw declared itself a seperate church in 1745 after relocating to this vicinity from Edisto Island. A sanctuary was built 6 mi. NE

(Reverse)
in 1751; it burned in 1857. The first sanctuary on this site was built in 1860. It burned in 1904 and was replaced by the sanctuary in 1906, which is still used for occasional services. The present sanctuary nearby was built in 1982.

Erected by Members and Friends - 1995