Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pine Level Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 27-14
Location: Hwy 278 about 10 miles South of Hampton South Carolina.
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 42.067    W 081° 01.733
  32.701117    -81.028883
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This church, organized on January 6, 1872 with Rev. M.H. Shuman as its first minister, held services in members´ homes until a sanctuary, built in 1906 was built on this site between 1876 and 1881. A second sanctuary, built in 1906, served the congregation until a new sanctuary was built .4 mi. N. in 1995. Revs. J.J. Nix 1900-1929) and Frank Fisher 1945-1966) were the longest-serving ministers here.

(reverse)
Charter members of Pine Level Baptist Church were Mary Cleland, Rebecca Dewitt, Oscar Ellis, J.J. Gooding, Rosa C. Grimes, Rachel Mew, Mary Phillips, Alexander Smith, Cecelia R. Smith, Deliah W. Smith, George H. Smith, James R. Smith, Lucreita Smith, Mary Smith, Harriet Tindal, W.F. Wheeler, and Sarah J. Wheeler.

Erected by Members and Friends of Pine Level Baptist Church - 1998.