Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Tillman Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 27-15
Location: Cotton Hill Rd., Tillman, SC
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 27.869    W 081° 6.463
  32.46448333    -81.10771666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, formally established in 1883 as Savin Grove Baptist Church, had its origins in a congregation active before the Civil War just south of present-day Tillman. When Revs. J.F. Morrall and Jonas Trowell reestablished the church it took the old name of Savin Grove. Rev. W.H. Dowling served as its first minister and Rev. J.M. Bostick as its second minister.

(Reverse)
This church moved to Tillman in 1897 after the congregation acquired property for a new sanctuary; work began that year and was completed in 1901. Renamed Edon Baptist Church (also spelled Eden), it was known by that name until the 1930s, when it was renamed Tillman Baptist Church. The congregation has been a member of the Savannah River Assn. of Baptist Churches since 1883.

Erected by the Congregation and the Jasper County Historical Society, 2000