Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Grahamville



Marker ID: SCHM 27-16
Location: at the intersection of Roads 13 & 29, Grahamville, SC
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 32° 28.243    W 080° 57.902
  32.470717    -80.965033
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This summer village, established by the rice planters of St. Luke´s Parish, was a thriving settlement in what was the Beaufort District until the creation of Jasper County in 1912. Named for Capt. John Graham (1784-1833), its prominent residents included members of the Bull, Fripp, Glover, Hassell, Hazzard, Heyward, Jenkins, Screven, and Seabrook families, among others.

(reverse)
The village boasted several stores, three churches, a post office, a tavern, and the Grahamville Academy. When the Charleston & Savannah RR was constructed in 1860, villagers objected to locating a station here so one was built 1 mi. W and Ridgeland grew around it. Grahamville was burned by Union troops in 1864, and Holy Trinity Church is all that survives of the old village.

Erected by The Jasper County Historical Society - 2000.